Tuesday 9 January 2007

What is joy in the workplace......

(Finally my first blog here on blogger on my personal life and thoughts...which has been long due!!! : P YEAH!!!)

Prelude:
Stressing that,myself, as a new grad. entering the workplace, I guess there's always things to learn and of course A LOT and A LOT of things which you are unsure about.

Amazingly I have survived the place for 'almost' a year now (which I realise now, time do go extra fast when you go to work 40 hours a week, 8 hours a day). However (or should I say LUCKILY), it was yesterday, Monday the 9th of Jan 2007.....that I finally experienced my FIRST REAL HAPPINESS at work.... : P!!!

What is Joy?
You see what happened was that I was assigned to work on an issue, which is to re-skin the interface of the web application my team is responsible for. I have been working on it for a few good days now....and it's ALMOST ALMOST there. Accidentally, I had to check with my project leader about the interface, which lead to the invitation of our Team Leader Leader to come to my computer to check our the partly done work.

hahaah and when my project leader arrived he was like "Wow....look at it (my screen showing the re-skinned interface)...finally I get to see some happy news today"!!! Looking at his face and hearing closely to his tone, you can feel a genuine happiness flowing from his face. And after he was done poking around on the interface....he simply said to me "Well done.....good job!" (and I could also tell it was a genuine appreciation too)!

And THIS is what I call "what is joy in the workplace"! : ) A genuine appreciation and a genuine admiration of one's work! And what makes it even more joyful was that I myself, did not think it deserves such appreciation, seriously it doesn't look THAT nice at all!!! So to see the joy on his face was a total shocker for me!!!

Conclusion:
And hence after this I thought to myself, if ONE DAY I am lucky enough to become a management person. I will definitely remember to give credits to my team when its worth it and show my appreciation and admiration to their work frequently!!! Because this is what makes a team work and one happy employee that will continue to work hard on their job!


No comments:

Post a Comment